Below is just a small list of the missions FUMC participates in:
- Assisting the UMYF (United Methodist Youth Fellowship) with the TOP (Teens Opposing Poverty) mission.
- Hosting WATTS (Winchester Area Temporary Thermal Shelter) each winter for one week.
- Making birthing kits and school kits for disadvantaged people around the world through UMCOR (United Methodist Commission on Relief).
- Sending care packages to soldiers.
- Helping and visiting the elderly.
- Assisting the UMYF with the “30hr. famine”, a time when the youth secure sponsors for time spent fasting so that food may be purchased for the hungry.
- Christmas “gift card” tree.
- Volunteering at animal shelters.
- Helping with the CCAP (Congregational Community Action Project) Christmas present “give away” to needy families and school supply drive.
- Funding the homeless “ID” project.
- Supporting the “Nothing But Nets Campaign” through “Imagine No Malaria”– sending mosquito nets to impoverished places around the world.
- Christmas caroling to the elderly and home bound.
- We sponsor blood drives for the American Red Cross.
- Knitting “comfort blankets” for families in grief.
- Providing holiday meals for needy families.
- Some friends of the church send letters to people in prison.
First United Methodist Church also regularly supports:
- Salvation Army
- Habitat For Humanity
- Winchester Heart Haven Home
- Hunger Offering
The “Hunger Offering” is used to help individuals with various needs such as Rent, Heating & Electric bills, food, health needs, Turkey & Ham for CCAP clients for Christmas/Thanksgiving.